Tuesday, April 08, 2014

First Signs of Spring

A few weeks ago, we asked Washington Gardener Magazine readers to tell us when they know Spring has finally arrived in their gardens. Here are some of their responses.

"I know Spring has begun in my garden when the snow melts!!"

~ Douglas Reimel, Clarksburg, MD


“I know Spring has really arrived in my garden when... I spend all day working outside shedding layers as the day progresses, there is a pile of soil-soaked garden gloves nearby, and as sunset arrives I finally arrive at the porch glider thoroughly sore and completely contented!"
~ Alison 
Rolen, Harwood, MD

"I know spring has really arrived in my garden when the weeds start blooming!"
~ Judy Thomas, Mechanicsville, VA


" I know spring has arrived in my garden when I found my kitty cats rolling around in it.  I know the soil is warming up."
~ Mary Valentine-Boutté, Hedgesville, WV

"I know Spring has really arrived in my garden when the robins are hopping around, finding wigglers to eat."
~ Kris Prendergast

" I know spring has really arrived in my garden when the Pearlbush has begun to leaf out, the dwarf Forsythia blooms, and Robins arrive to glean any last berries off the Chokeberry bush."
~ Nancy Khan, Washington, DC

" I know Spring has really arrived in my garden when I see seeds that I planted in the fall popping up as green shoots…YEAH!!!!"
~ Amanda Greene, Rockville, MD 

"I know Spring has really arrived in my garden when the weeds start turning green."
~ Faith Hood, Falls Church, VA

"I know Spring has really arrived in my garden when I: (1) see the listings for upcoming plant sales and (2) spy emerging Virginia Bluebells. The sales are now duly noted in all my calendars. The dark purplish foliage of the bluebells are now 1-2 inches high and now, oh, how I yearn to start planting spring greens.  In the snow falling today, I know I cannot.  Yet."
~ Annie Shaw, Greenbelt, MD

"I know it is spring in my garden when the deer return to nibble and when the daffodils bloom for Easter. And this year Easter is late and likewise my daffys."
~ Joan Richards, Fairfax, VA

"I know spring has come to my garden when I see robins picking around in the soil for worms and bugs." 
~ Norma Jo Shore

"I know Spring has really arrived in my garden when I can see the hostas' conical 'noses' begin to push through the soil."
~  Anne Hardman, Silver Spring, MD

"I know spring has arrived in my garden when the squirrels start chewing on the new growth of my potted weeping Trident Maple. It's sap seems to be squirrel chocolate milk. For about three weeks, I move the tree to the foyer where the critters have not yet been bold enough to venture. Once the sap has risen the danger is over. I may not have deer and rabbits, but I'm not out of the woods when it comes to animal treats. "
~ Carol Edwards, Washington, DC 

"I know that Spring has arrived in my garden when the last Junco heads north."
~ Sue Hauser, Kensington, MD

"I know spring has really arrived I my garden when I see the trillium leaves unfolding!"
~ Rachel Shaw, Rockville, MD

“I know Spring has really arrived in my garden when the forsythia blooms."
~ Pam McGroarty


"I know spring has really arrived in my garden when the dozen or so kids (5-12) who signed up to learn to garden organically in the community garden I run, start counting the worms who are 'building our soils.'"
~ Dayle McCarthy, Rockville, MD

“I know Spring has really arrived in my garden when...the snowdrops have blossomed, the daffodils have bloomed, and the robins are pulling worms up from the ground and gulping them down."
~ Susi Baranano, Washington, DC

 “I know Spring has really arrived in our garden when homeless people start hanging out, sitting on the sides of the raised beds, sitting in the sun, and waiting for a shared meal that includes spring greens from the church garden." 
~ Ashley Goff, Washington, DC


So when is it "officially" Spring for you?

PS The winner of our contest chosen at random from among the submitted "Signs of Spring" entries to win a copy of "Building Soils" was Judy Thomas of Mechanicsville, VA. Congratulations, Judy!

4 comments:

  1. I know spring has arrived in my garden when I open the back door and I can smell the soil beckoning. There may also be the sound of a robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Spring has arrived when the treeline has what I call a "greaze". Greaze is the greenish haze, pre-foliage of the trees waking up from a winters rest. Simply beautiful and refreshing after the browns of winter.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for adding those, Laurel and Teri. Wonderful sights, smells, and sounds - isn't that what spring awakening is all about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For garden trimming tools i have a site to share https://awesome-wheel.com, thanks

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...