Friday, October 19, 2012

Fenton Friday: Absent Gardener

 
I was away this past week at the Garden Writers Association annual symposium in Tucson, AZ. I had a great time networking, taking classes, and touring desert gardens, but I have to say I am so glad to be home where things grow lushly and almost effortlessly. I have about 500 photos from the trip I'm sharing shortly over at the http://www.facebook.com/WashingtonGardenerMagazine page -- from variegated figs (the fruit not the foliage) to the true blue cactus -- I think you'll enjoy the photo album.

Between unpacking and catching up on piles of mails, emails, phone messages, etc., I ran over to my community garden plot to see how things were growing. This green eating machine (pictured above) was on a broccoli plant that somehow was outside the Remay cloth cover I had placed over the row in order to protect them from critters such as this one. I suppose while I was gone the wind and rains may have exposed it and it did not take long for the greedy insects to descend upon it. Glad I was there today to pick him and a smaller brother off and to re-cover the plant. Maybe I'll actually be able to have some home-grown broccoli to enjoy this fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...