Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Sunny Garden Bloggers Bloom Day

Another Bloom Day to share. It is a gorgeous 80 degree day here - well above our normal average. I'm in shorts and a t-shirt now and am loving it. The cold weather will come soon enough. Here are a few blooms from around my garden today.

The zinnia at left was one I seeded very late in the season - ahem, August - in the sidewalk strip. It and a few of its sisters managed to live despite the drought and my neglect. I'll be collecting those hardy seeds as soon as they ripen.

These other three are:
- A bloom of the Little Blue Chip buddleia (aka miniature butterfly bush) that I'm trialing now. It is in a big pot and doing well.
- A sunflower blossom from a mixed seed back. I love how the long petals curl and it has such a tiny face.
- Verbena-on-a-stick (verbena bonariensis) still going strong and putting out more and more flowers. I shared a bunch of this with Green Home Tour attendees and expect it will self-sow well to return next year.
















3 comments:

  1. I like the Blue Chip buddleia, too. It bloomed a good part of the summer despite being root bound. It's now in the ground and I hope it makes it through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The funniest thing I did not get to catch on camera was a BIG Monarch Butterfly visiting the Blue Chip - it was practically engulfing the flower spikes - so hungry. It was one day last week when it seemed all the Monarchs in a one-mile radius came in one big wave to visit and I haven't seen a one since. If I had not been out watering my pots at that exact timing, I'd never even have known they came.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the name "verbena on a stick". Easier to remember. I also like how it self-sows in the garden and starts blooming later in the summer, when other perennials are tapering off.

    Thanks for joining in for bloom day!
    Carol, May Dreams Gardens

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...