Friday, March 10, 2006

Time for a New Post

A week since my last blog post! Ack! Well, two of those days were spent at the Philadelphia Flower Show. This year was good for the networking and story ideas - but other than that not much new or ground-breaking to report.

The rest of my week has been spent running around for various errands and events - with little home time to clear out my back emails or post to this blog.

Spent today with Judy Tiger of Grow ( looking at various sites around DC that are applying for grants to do gardens. One of them, a youth detention center in NE, had a stunning inner courtyard. A long, narrow enclosed space that could have been very pedestrian was done with a kind of figure 8 series of curves and beds. Pretty much all shrub plantings - tough, low-maintenance and long-lasting. They are so lucky to have this and the landscape architect did a fantastic job. The science teacher there has applied to fill the planting beds in one end of the courtyard with edibles and herbs as a teaching tool and for student involvement. I'm not sure if this is the best use of this stunning space - corn, peppers, basil, etc. but I appreciate their lack of alternatives and need to use what they have. We also had a conversation with the director about what tools the teens could use to garden with. What an interesting problem: how to garden with nothing pointed, sharp, metal, or heavy. Gloved hands make great digging tools and I suppose will have to do - looks like plastic spoons may be one of their only other options. Makes it almost primitive and certainly more in touch with the basic growing principles. However, I know few gardeners who would be willing to give up their favorite tools! For myself, it is a good pair of hand-pruners and my trusty little trowel that never leave my hands as I work my way around my garden. Since we've been blessed with unbelievable gorgeous weather this weekend that is where you'll find me...

No comments: