Friday, July 31, 2026

Fenton Friday: Okra for Days...

This week we got another decent rain storm of almost an inch. For most of the time, it has been very breezey and not stiflingly hot.

The BAD NEWS is that some jerk broke off the metal sign I purchased for the Pollinator Garden Strip and stole an entire Marigold plant. (This could be two different jerks, but I doubt it.) Of course, they took the special Marigold that I was sent to trial by a plant breeder, not the ones on the other end of the strip that are regular old Marigolds.

The GOOD NEWS is we have Okra and lots of it! (See photo above.) BTW, if you are not an Okra fan or an unfamiliar with growing it. See here and here.

The Squash vines have several fruits forming and one looks very close to picking. With the Montgomery County Fair just a few weeks away, I'm hoping we have some nice specimens ready to enter by then.

The rest of the plot is coming along well including the Eggplants, Beans, Peppers, Cucamelons, and Tomatoes. I cut more bouquets of Dahlias, Gomphrena, and Lisianthus.

We weeded and watered. We thinned out the Zinnia seedlings to give the reamaining plants more space to grow and flower. I pinched back the flowers on all the Basil plants to encourage them to become fuller. 

When I was weeding near the back corner of the plot, I pulled out a tiny Carrot by accident. I assume it self-sowed from plants that were in there last spring or fall.

I still need to clear out the last of the Dill stems to plant more Beans. 

What are you growing and harvesting in your garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 15th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton"  into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Holiday Gifts for Gardeners ~ Top Gardening Gifts ~ 21+ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

The holiday season is here and I bet you have a gardener on your gift list, so we've   updated   our annual a Holiday Gifts for Gardener...

Most Popular Posts