Arugula is fresh green that can continue to grow into the month of December here in the Mid-Atlantic. It will continue growing in your garden until a really bad frost. Try making pesto with Arugula rather than Basil. It is fresh, creamy, and has a subtle peppery flavor.
- A hand full of fresh Arugula, rinsed.
- 4-6 tbsp. of olive oil.
- 3 cloves of garlic.
- 2 tbsp. of Parmesan cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a food processor or blender blend the arugula, garlic, and cheese.
- Slowly drizzle in the oil as the blend is running until pesto is smooth and garlic is minced.
- Add salt and pepper for taste.
"Savory Sunday" is a new weekly blog series with seasonal recipes from the garden.
About the Author:
Shelby Smith is a senior double major in multi-platform journalism and film studies at the University of Maryland College Park. She was a sports copy-editor for a campus publication called Unwind Magazine and a writer at The Campus Current newspaper at Anne Arundel Community College.