Friday, July 22, 2016

Fenton Friday: First Cuke


This week at my community garden plot we are starting our third serious heat wave of the summer -- ushering that in was a huge storm overnight a few days ago that dumped 2 inches of rain in an hour. Both those factors are making the garden explode. I have reined in the tomato plants a few times and the cucumbers and sweet potato vines keep making a run for the plot borders.

The summer interns' cucumber plants are covered in flowers and pictured here is there first cuke of the season. I predict we are about to be inundated with them.

The basil is getting really big now and the garlic has finished curing as well so I plan to make a batch of pesto to have at our upcoming garden photo show.

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 5th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...