Friday, July 15, 2016

Fenton Friday and Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day Collide

 
It is Garden Blogger's Bloom Day again! On the 15th of each month, we gardeners with blogs share a few bloom photos from our gardens. It is also Friday during the growing season and that is when I do my weekly community garden plot update. So rather than do two separate posts, I figured I'd combine the two and report that here in the Mid-Atlantic USA (USDA zone 7) on the DC-MD border the past week had been hell-a-hot! I have been out watering almost every day. The home garden and garden plot are loving all the summer heat and are bountiful with sun-loving flowers - ranging from sunflowers to hibiscus to waterlilies.

In the section of my garden plot that I set aside as a cutting garden, the Mrs. Burns Lemon Basil is doing well and so is the Celosia and Nicotiana. The Zinnias are all starting to pop (Benary’s Giant Pink Zinnia, Benary’s Oklahoma Zinnia Pink, and Lime Green Zinnia). I expect to be gathering them by the armful soon.

As far as the veggies in my plot go, the cucumber vines have started to fight it out with the sweet potatoes and the beans are coming along well. Peppers and okra are producing - slow and steady.

The only bad news is that this week I noticed yellowing and brown spots on the tomato plant foliage. I think it is Fusarium Wilt  and that is typical for our humid climate, even though I used resistant varieties and rotated the tomato plant location in my plot there is not much I can do to escape it. The plants still have many fruits, they just look ugly while doing it.

What flowers are blooming for you today?

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 5th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

1 comment:

  1. Me encanta la foto. Buen fin de semana y os mando un fuerte abrazo

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...