Friday, June 24, 2016

Fenton Friday: Small-ish Garlic Harvest

Garlic cleaned and ready to be cured
This week at the community garden plot started off hot and dry and then the rains came and it cooled off for a bit -- now it is in our usual hot, humid, and pop-up storm pattern.

The garlic foliage was browning so the interns and I dug it up. The bulbs are about half the size of last year's crop -- nothing to brag about, but not awful. Thy are hanging now in my sunroom to cure for a couple weeks.

Intern John's watermelon seeds did not really germinate, so we put in sweet potato slips in that spot instead. Intern Jacqueline's cucumber seedlings are doing just fine and we thinned them back to the strongest two.

I also planted 3 each -- Nicotiana seedlings, 'Genovese' Basil, and 'Black Pearl' Ornamental Peppers. About half of my cut-flower seeds have not germinated so I may go in and re-space out some of the flower seedlings that did come up and add a few new seeds.

The strawberry crop has ended and the peas have petered out. I'll pull the latter's vines this week and put in green beans and some 'Baby Boo' pumpkin seeds.

Has is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 5th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

2 comments:

  1. My garlic turned prematurely brown this year, too, so I dug it up. I thought it was something I did. Maybe not.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just you, Swimray, looking over other's gardens it seems we had an off year for garlic.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...