Friday, June 03, 2016

Fenton Friday: Paltry Peas


The peas that the spring interns planted finally produced some pods. The handful I harvested are delicious and are, as promised, edible as pod or pea. The pea vines though are wilting in the hot, humid sun between torrential rains. They might not last much longer.

Meanwhile, strawberries are going gang-busters still. I have not kept up picking them all and some are rotting and others are being feated on by slugs and mealy bugs, but I am trying hard to pick them daily and keep up with them.

Between storms, I also managed to plant tomatoes ('Sun Sugar' and 'Matt's Wild Cherry'), one 'Fish Pepper, and two red Okra plants.

I also cleared out a whole bed (except for 9 garlic plants I put in last fall) for my cutting garden seeds. I was going to plant them last week but every day promised another gully-washer storm, some of which materialized and some of which just blew on by. I didn't want to risk all my new seeds going down the street drain, so I have waited. Hope to get them in early next week.

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 5th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...