Saturday, October 02, 2010

Favorite Fall Foliage Plants

Our September 2010 Washington Gardener Magazine Reader Contest winner chosen at random from among the submitted entries is Danielle Bays of  Washington, DC. She will recieve a $60 gift certificate from CSN Stores (http://www.csnstores.com/). CSN Stores has over 200 online stores where you can find everything from stylish handbags, to modern bar stools, or great cookware!
   CSN Stores has an extensive Patio & Garden collection. Turn your backyard into an outdoor living room with their impressive selection of outdoor furniture. Looking to enjoy the great outdoors? Check out their camping gear, binoculars, and optics in our outdoor recreation section. Love to grill? Browse their outdoor cooking for the best in barbeques, smokers, and grills.

I asked entrants to tell us their Favorite Fall Foliage Plant and why, Here are some of the contest entry responses:

Lucy G. of  Annapolis, MD,  picked Hosta 'Paul's Glory. "'This hosta, one of my favorite varieties all season, stays looking good straight through until Halloween, at a time when my others are looking slug-damaged, or like they're just tired out and about to go dormant. Even in November, when it does start to turn, the leaves turn gold instead of just going brown and withered. It's not huge but is large enough to have real "presence" (foliage is about 24" tall.) It really is a good perennial accent in a fall garden."

Danielle B. of Washington, DC, said, "My favorite fall foliage plant is the quaking aspen tree. I lived in Santa Fe, NM, for a number of years. In the fall, the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo mountains would be blanketed in golden yellow. Beautiful. Unfortunately, not a look I will be able to replicate in my Washington, DC garden."

Jeavonna C. of Baltimore, MD, shared her pick, "Fall Blooming Crocus & Colchicum (pictured above). They are beautiful and a nice frame (early spring, late fall) to my changing garden picture."

Madeline C. of of Washington, DC, said sedum. "I love the rust colored flowers."

Gloria S. of Silver Spring, MD, nominated Fothergilla.

Katie D. of Towson, MD,  selected Acer saccharum- Sugar Maple. "The glowing yellow color really outshines any other tree in the fall foliage show."

George G. of  Falls Church, VA, chose Nandina domestica 'Monum' Plum Passion. "This shrub has three distinct color phases. New growth is deep purple. In summer the leaves turn deep green and in fall-winter the leaves become reddish purple. The color is outstanding unless we have a very cold winter and the leaves defoliate but will return in spring."

Molly G. of Alexandria, VA, wrote, "My favorite fall foliage plant is the hardy chrysanthemum. They come in such bright happy colors and cheer up the yard in which everything else is dying off for the year."

Miriam B. said, "My favorite fall plant are my roses. After a long hot summer I love to watch the final flush of blossoms and the aubergine and lime colored leaves sprouting new growth on the spindly canes of the long summer withered rose plants."

Mavis B. of  Silver Spring, MD, wrote, " My favorite fall foliage plant is my Ginkgo biloba tree. The fan-shaped leaves turn a brilliant yellow that is so remarkable that total strangers stop to take pictures of it. Pretty good for a tree of ancient origins!"

So, did we miss YOUR Favorite Fall Foliage Plant?

4 comments:

  1. Oh' that flower was so cool! This is the first time I saw like that. Anyway, thanks for sharing this post. I enjoyed reading it.



    -yumi-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! its obviously very useful flowers so cute. Anyway,thank you so much for this wealth of information.

    toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ammonia hubrictii knocks my socks off with its brilliant orange yellow foliage. Close second depending on rainfall is Black Gum tree, Nyssa silvatica

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Kit Gage: Ha! Don't you love autocorrect? Let's go with Amsonia.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...