Friday, August 07, 2026

Fenton Friday: Thrilling Squash

This week we got some good rain storm, but also it has been very hot and humid -- with a typical mid-late summer Bermuda High weather pattern.

The Squash 'Thriller' has a few fruits ready to harvest (see photo above) with several more developing on the vines. I hope to have enough at once to enter into the Montgomery County Fair in a few weeks. This is that time of year that I'm really crossing my fingers that the timing works out to submit some decent entries.

I'm picking Okra about every other day and the Eggplant 'Fairy Tale' had several fruits about to drop off the plant, so I gathered them up too today. Now I have to figure out how I might use them in a recipe. Suggestions? 

The rest of the plot is coming along well including the Beans, Peppers, Cucamelons, and Tomatoes. I also cut more bouquets of Dahlias, Gomphrena, and Lisianthus.

The Zinnias in the Pollinator Strip are now blooming, so the thinning we did last week really helped. 

I pinched back the flowers on all the Basil plants again to encourage them to become fuller. 

I'm struggling with Morning Glory vines and weed trees (mainly Mulberry and Catalpa) that are unrelenting in our plot. The more I pull and cut these off at that base, the more they just keep coming back twice as big. I tried putting overturned buckets on them, but they still seem to find the light. We are not permitted to use chemical interventions and digging never gets all the roots out. Any advice?

What are you growing and harvesting in your garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 15th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton"  into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Holiday Gifts for Gardeners ~ Top Gardening Gifts ~ 21+ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

The holiday season is here and I bet you have a gardener on your gift list, so we've   updated   our annual a Holiday Gifts for Gardener...

Most Popular Posts