Friday, June 01, 2018

Fenton Friday: Rain-fueled Weeds and Harvest Bounty

It was another week of multiple flooding rains here in the Mid-Atlantic. We measured another 3 inches falling in our garden and more is do today and over the weekend. I will never complain about the rain though as the opposite is so soul-suckingly awful!

The weeds have thoroughly enjoyed the rain and I spend most of my time in the plot just pulling out what I can. The Peas were a bust so I pulled those vines out and the Asparagus has ended so I tied up the tall stalks. The rest of my time is spent harvesting.

This week I cut a big bowl-full of Lettuce for a neighborhood Memorial Day barbecue and cut all the Garlic scapes off. I gave the latter to my mom for use in omelettes and other dishes.

The Strawberries continue to be bountiful. I get about a half-pint a day now as they are slowing down a bit. I also planted two ever-bearing strawberry plants that I hope to be able to snack from in coming months.

I haven't had a chance yet to put in the summer crops - tomatoes, peppers, melons, etc. I hope to do that next week.

The annual cut Flowers self-seeded from last year like crazy and I'll need to spend a morning thinning those out and transplanting a bunch as they inevitable sow themselves exactly where you don't want them.

One more thing that has self-sown again is the Ground Cherries. I'll need to thin them a bit, but otherwise I'll let them go and do their thing.

How is your vegetable garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 6th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...