Friday, June 22, 2018

Fenton Friday: Mouse Melons Return

Mouse Melon vine emerging
Another wet week, but I'm not complaining! Not having to water every day frees up a lot of my time to do other things like weed and plant. This week I put in Edamame 'Envy' seeds -- inspired by the EdibleHarvest column in our current issue. Also, got in the 'Kentucky Wonder' Green Beans.

When I was weeding, I came across the re-emerging vines of the Mexican Gherkins (Melothria scabraaka Mouse Melon. I quickly scavenged up an old trellis piece that I had set aside in a scrap pile and then guided on of the tendrils up it. I may add some mesh to the trellis too for it to climb up as the vine is so tiny and the trellis is meant more for roses.

I am so happy the Mexican Gherkin roots over-wintered and came back. I had added a bit of extra compost on the spot in late fall, but next year I will also try to remember to mark the spot with a plant tag, so I won't almost accidentally weed it out again!

How is your vegetable garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 7th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...