Friday, May 25, 2018

Fenton Friday: Black Spanish Round (?!?) Radish


It has been a very rainy spring and the last two weeks have been one gully-washer storm after another. The community garden plot is a weed paradise right now and I can hardly keep up with it. 

Among the cool-season crops I tried out this year for the first time was a packet of Black Spanish Round Radish seeds. They are an heirloom variety that has been around since the 16th century (if not earlier). 

The taste is fairly hot compared to other radishes and they never did form a nice round shape as promised. The soil is not to blame as in that same bed I've gotten some well-shaped turnips, and other root vegetables. The one good point was how dramatic the snow-white flesh looks compared to the dark skin. It would look cool on a party tray. They also bolted fast (despite our cool, wet spring) and do have a very pretty, edible flower. 

Verdict: I won't be growing these again anytime soon. 


How is your vegetable garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 6th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:57 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...