Friday, August 18, 2017

Fenton Friday: Ribbons and Melons

I went away for 12 days and to speak at and attend two international gardening conferences (GWA and IWGS) and came home to a jungle both in my own home garden and in the community garden plot! This year, I arranged for helpers to water while I went away, fearing our typical July-August drought. Well, that was totally unnecessary as we have had one heavy storm after another and the plants are quite happy. Now I am just spending time beating things back from the pathways and picking off the swollen, cracked tomatoes.

While I was out, the interns entered us into several categories at the Montgomery County Fair and we went to check on them on Monday. We won two ribbons - a second and a fourth place - both for the Celosia blooms I planted along the back border of the plot.

One big development in the plot during my absence was the appearance of several Mouse Melons (aka Mexican Gherkins) on my tiny vines. I tasted one today and it was the typical lightly-sour-cucumber flavor that I really like. It is as if it has pickled itself -- no vinegar or long wait needed.

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday: 
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 6th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...