Friday, June 09, 2017

Fenton Friday: Red Cotton


This week, I planted: 7 kinds of Tomatoes and herbs such as Holy Basil, Genovese Basil, Chamomile. I also stuck in a row of Marigold seedlings I got in at a plant swap to border the tomatoes.

Two new additions that I am very excited to be trying out for the first time this year are Malabar Spinach and Red Cotton. The three cotton plants (pictured above) are from the Silver Spring Garden Club Garden Mart and are already a healthy foot+ in size. I have no idea on cotton spacing. (The only research I could find was for huge farm fields of it!) I may have planted them a bit too close together, we shall see.
   Fort the Malabar Spinach, a green that thrives in heat and loves to climb, I constructed a ladder-like two-side trellis that I aim to train it up. I may add a companion climber to the other side. Perhaps a Mouse Melon?

The daily rains have stopped that means I am entering the "run over and water before Noon" phase of the season -- meanwhile, I still have a lot of things needing to be planted and we are due for record heat wave in the next few days. This will be a test of real endurance for me and the plot!

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday: 
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 5th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

2 comments:

  1. kathy,

    I have mouse melon seeds, if you would like some. Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank, Beth, yes, will take you up on a few seeds.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...