Friday, June 30, 2017

Fenton Friday: Bunny Blues

So the rabbits have found us. I arrived at my plot on Monday morning to find my bean seedlings had been bitten down to nubs. I tucked a cover cloth around them and they mostly seem to be recovering now. I have also chased a rabbit out of an adjacent plot on a few occasions, so the culprit is obvious. What is puzzling though is where our neighborhood feral cat colony (part of the trap-and-release program) has gone. I have not seen any kitties in months and it is no coincidence that now we have bunny issues. 

In the good news department, I had my first 'Sun Gold' tomato of the season. I ate it this morning as I watered the plot. The Watermelon vines are growing like crazy and the Zinnia seedlings are all up and looking good. I am not sure the Mouse Melon seeds have emerged or if those are tiny weeds in that spot, I will give them another week or so to prove themselves.

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday: 
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 6th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...