Friday, May 29, 2015

Fenton Friday: Salad Days Return!

I was able to provide a big salad for my family Memorial Day picnic -- all the greens, carrots, radishes, and Sugarsnap peas came from my community garden plot. We had enough for six people and lots leftover as well. My sister-in-law and younger niece are big salad-eaters so they will start eating it (undressed!) as we prepare the rest of the meal. I'm not as fond of straight greens, I need a big dollop of some kind of dressing - usually a creamy one like Ranch - to make the leaves go down.

Also this week, my summer interns started. Here is a picture of them picking strawberries in the hot sun. (Don't worry, we were not out there for long!) We brought them in and made fresh strawberry shortcakes and ate them right up. I'll be sharing an introductory blog of the new interns this Monday.

Meanwhile, the annoying weather-pattern continues of summer-like high temps and storms passing us right by, so I'm spending most of my gardening hours just watering to keep new plants alive. We are due for a cool break this Sunday-Monday and I hope that is accompanied by much-needed rain!

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 4th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...