Friday, March 27, 2015

Fenton Friday: Spring has (finally) Sprung!

Peas - soaked and sprouted pre-planting
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 4th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

It is a very late start this year. The snow melted and the ground finally started to thaw enough for me to put peas in. This year I'm planting SugarSnap Peas and also some heirloom Sweet Peas for cutting flowers. I added a third kind of pea as well  Oregon Sugar Pod II, which are to be picked at flat and tender stage as snow peas. What kinds of peas are you planting?

Leftover from last year in my plot is asparagus, strawberries, parsley, and garlic. I also have a  smattering of kale other lettuce greens popping back up.

This coming weekend, we have our first meeting of the plot gardeners for the year. It will be fun to see old friends and to see what new folk have joined us.

It has been a very wet week, so I will wait a few more days then I plan to direct-sow the rest of my cool-season crops -- carrots, radish, lettuce greens, etc. What are you sowing in your vegetable gardens this time of year? 

2 comments:

  1. Did you know that good bacteria in your soil can actually make you happy? Studies have shown the Mycobacterium vaccae Bacteria can have similar effects on the brain as Prozac. Lets focus on cultivating this good stuff in our soil by utilizing grassroots fabric pot, they breath and allow for air transference which allows for the bacteria to breath and multiply. Healthy soil, healthy plants equals healthy people genesisfabricpots.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, RJ, yes, new soil research is astonishing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...