Friday, May 23, 2014

Fenton Friday: Strawberry Scandal

So somebody stole the first ripe strawberries in my community garden plot this season. We don't know who -- and maybe they were not even human -- but they are gone and so are berries from others' plots. One of the main reason I have a plot at the Fenton Garden was protection of my edible plants, both from human and animal predation. We have a high mesh deer fence all around the garden with three locked gates. Of course, if the thief is am unsupervised child of fellow community gardener, all the fencing in the world will not protect against that. The whole thing has me re-thinking whether the plot is worth it, but I plan to continue on and finish out this season there at least.

Fortunately, I was able to snag a few ripe strawberries a few days later for my breakfast cereal. Though they are not as dead-ripe as I'd like them as I'm anxiously picking them early in an attempt to beat the food felons to the punch.

In other plot news, I had my first salad with my plot greens and was able to plant a few of the tomato plants I recently purchased -- 'Sun Gold' and 'Evergreen.' Then several more tomato plants arrived on my doorstep for trialing. I will see which ones I actually have space for this season. I plan to spend the Memorial Day weekend getting in these and also finally starting my melon, cucumber, bean, and okra seeds.

How is your edible garden growing this week?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...