Saturday, December 12, 2009

Happy Poinsettia Day!


Not sure yet how I feel about the dyed Poinsettia trend. I'm on the fence. (I know, can you believe I don't have a strong opinion on this of all things?) Tacky, yes, but really, aren't almost all Christmas and holiday decor items pretty much way over the good taste line? I'm going to give these a pass. If they make you happy, buy them. If not, you'll live and these poinsettias will soon be dropping their funky-colored leaves and in the compost heap by New Year's.

According to http://www.ecke.com/ (poinsettia marketers extraordinaire), December 12 was "set aside by an Act of Congress as National Poinsettia Day. The date marks the death of Joel Roberts Poinsett, who is credited with introducing the native Mexican plant to the United States. The purpose of the day is to enjoy the beauty of this popular holiday plant."

That last sentence cracks me up. It is just so painfully awkward in wording and concept. So set aside your chores today, folks, and just sit and stare at your gorgeous poinsettias. LOL!

1 comment:

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...