Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Amen, Sister, Preach On

Executive Publishing magazine's October '09 cover story interview is with Phyllis Hoffman, Media President and CEO of Hoffman Media. She talks about the success of Cooking With Paula Deen and the company's other titles. I found her refreshing and to the point. I wanted to jump up on the Metro as I read the piece and yell, "Amen!" I restrained myself and only muttered it under my breath, causing my seat-mate to switch to another row. Which come to think of it, is not a bad thing. I'll have to keep that weapon in my transit rider article for when it is truly needed. Back to the article, it begins:

When Phyllis Hoffman started her first magazine, Just Cross Stitch, in 1983, she knew a lot about needlework, but next to nothing about the magazine business...


You see, she started with a passion first and then built her business empire. The best part though is contained in this quote:

"We are not out to establish a rate base by giving stuff away to sell ads against," she says. "Our magazine numbers that we deliver to advertisers are real numbers, and they are premium numbers. They are paid, and there is nothing gimmicky about it. So if you buy an ad in one of our publications, your ad goes to readers that have paid for that magazine and are excited about it."


Yes, yes, and yes. Free or "controlled circulation" publications are not the answer and many is the freebie publisher I meet at networking events who regrets that decision and tells me how they envy our subscription base. You can read the whole interview here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...