Thursday, August 14, 2008

Potluck Surprise

Here is the online link to this week's The List: Top Gardening Events for the week ahead on page 35 of today's print edition in the Washington Examiner. You can find the Examiner in the many red street-boxes around town. I saved a screen capture of the listing as a JPG and posted it here at left -- you can click on it to read at 100%.

This weekend I won't be attending any of these listed events. Instead, I'm continuing work on the Sept/Oct issue layout and attending several parties, picnics, and potlucks. One has stipulated "vegetarian dishes only" - while I don't cook meat or seafood, I do bake with eggs, milk, butter, etc. And sorry, total vegans, it is just not the same without the real things. What I do is just label the cake/pie/bread that dairy and eggs were used, that way folks are fully informed and can partake as they wish. Actually, it'd be nice at potlucks if all dishes were well labeled. Don't you just hate biting into something and finding mid-bite that the one ingredient you are repulsed by is hiding in the middle? There you are with a mouth full of nasty, looking for a napkin or nearest trashcan, and trying not to let the torture show on your face as you chat with the dish-bringer.

2 comments:

  1. And you feel bad because you took a serving of something that somebody else might like, but you're just going to waste because it has something uggsome like caraway seeds. Eww.

    Don't vegans just assume that any pastry that looks remotely edible is not vegan? If it's a pie that doesn't look like it's made with wallpaper paste, walk on by, my vegan friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true - many is the time I've taken a big scoop of a potluck dish thinking "yum!" only to sheepishly cover it with a napkin and hope the preparer is not seeing me NOT eat the item and that someone else might have liked it. In general I go with teaspoon full servings to taste now and go back for what is "good" - hoping it is still there on my 2nd browse thru!
    And yes, vegans should bypass fluffy, flakey baked goods as a rule - I just couldn't do it - give up gooey-rich, choc-chip cookies? Huh-uh.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...