Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Catch-Up Time

If you let the rain keep you home on Sunday afternoon, you made a big mistake. Big. Huge. The Shepherd Park Garden Tour started off with a misty drizzle. Then it poured for a bit. Then it cleared and the sun shone bright for the final hour. For all of it, the hardy garden tour souls were treated to a variety of fascinating gardens. From the green rooftop of the Eastern Village Co-Housing complex to manicured landscapes designed by pros to lush shade gardens painstakingly labored over by the amateur gardener homeowners. I captured some terrific photos images. (Overcast days mean saturated colors and no harsh shadows.) I've posted a few here and plan to share more in the July/August '08 issue of Washington Gardener Magazine.

The May 08 issue of the Takoma/Silver Spring Voice is posted here -- on page 23 you'll see me in profile wearing a black sun hat. I was volunteering at the recent Takoma Park House & Garden Tour and decided to dress the part of gracious garden greeter. Side profile is NOT my best side nor was this a photo I was aware of being taken at the time, but I have to admit, it is a nicely composed image overall. There is another photo of me from the tour posted to their gallery of tour images online here.


I'm having a heck of time finding panelists for Friday's A Man Named Pearl opening. So far I have garden blogger Susan Harris and garden tour organizer Cheval Force Opp locked in. I think between the three of us we can talk up a storm, but I'd like one more person to round things out. Last minute and a holiday weekend are tough times to find anyone.

Susan and I are also working together this weekend on another project. The first ever DC Urban Gardeners plant swap. That's right, we trade plants and you are invited -- best of all, it is entirely FREE! Reads all about it here.

The winning photos from the 2nd Annual Washington Gardener Photo Contest are on display at the PhotoSynthesis show at the Adams Bank Lobby in the World Building in downtown Silver Spring, MD. This exhibition runs through Thursday, 5/22. Winning photographers should contact by Thursday Washington Gardener Magazine to arrange a photo pick-up time.
REMINDER: Don't forget to keep taking photos throughout the year for the 2009 contest. Categories and rules to be posted soon. (We do not anticipate any major changes from the 2008 rules.) We will accept submissions right after the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...