Tuesday, November 27, 2007

PR Plea - eeze!

One of the "joys" of being a magazine publisher is the mountain of junk press releases I have to plow through every day both online and off. Amid the 100s of v_agra and p_nis-extending emails I get are some of the most lamest product releases! For instance, look at the opening line of this one:

The TwoDaLoo is billed as the world's first toilet two people can use ... at the exact same time. WiseRep.com is selling the unthinkable to help save the planet and bring couples closer together.

Truly what does this PR person who sent this to me have in mind?! Do they seriously think this is this really something a regional gardening magazine would be interested in? What really singes my tail feathers is that because I have to spend time wading through all the spam and just plain old crap like this, I have very little time to follow up and the cool garden gadgets and new plants I'd love to trial. I don't dare set any spam filtering on. Tried it. It blocked all the good and still let in a ton of the bad.

Every media person and every publication out there is experiencing the same thing. My plea is, if you have a legit press release to target it very selectively and it might just surface out of the slime ooze and make it into a story. If you are not legit or are determined to spam the known universe, I hope your reap that bad Karma you are sowing sooner rather than later.

(I got this Karma meter image from a Google search - apparently though that web site is no longer around and I cannot link to it. Ironic.)

3 comments:

  1. Generally, a two-holer is a more popular "water feature" in a more rural part of the country than Washington. Perhaps your e-mail was intended for the editor of Possum Gulch Gardener?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - after I posted I thought maybe they thought we were about that OTHER Washington the Left Coast. I've been to Seattle though and did not find that they do have private indoor facilities and also learned a bit too much about their exploding toilets on the famous underground tour (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Underground_Tour).
    My other thought was that some gardeners like to recycle old commodes as planters and that they thought this would give us double the pleasure when it comes to the end of its useable life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:22 PM

    Sadly, you gave them exactly what they wanted "press mention".

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...